Another 3 People after Drinking Ethanol “Ogogoro” in Ondo State. Seller Flees


Investigatorsγ and officers from Ondo State Police

Command are working round the clock to unravel the

mysterious death of three persons after consuming a local

gin, popularly known as ogogoro at Oka Motor Park in

Ondo town, Ondo State.

This is coming as the state government said last week that

it had curtailed the outbreak of a strange disease which

caused the death of 23 persons at Irele area of the state.

The government said the 23 who died at Irele consumed

poisonous ethanol and banned the consumption of ogogoro

across the state.

Vanguard gathered that the deceased persons in this latest

incident included a member of the National Union of Road

Transport Workers, NURTW, in the park, an electrician and

another person working in the motor park.

It was learned that the three persons consumed the local

gin at the park and immediately complained of stomach

upset. Other members of the union reportedly applied local

herbs to calm them down, but they soon became


An eyewitness said they died before they could be rushed

to a nearby hospital in the town, adding that the deaths

were mysterious as other members of the union usually

drank the same ogogoro.

Seller flees

Vanguard gathered that the seller of the ogogoro had fled

the park for fear of arrest by policemen, who reportedly

stormed the motor park to investigate the incident.

The eyewitness said consum-ption of ogogoro at motor

parks by members of NURTW was a daily occurrence.

It was also gathered that the deceased had been buried

according to Muslim rites without undergoing any autopsy

to confirm the real cause of their death.

Contacted, the police image maker, Wole Ogodo, said:

“When I called the DPO of the Enuowa Police Division in

Ondo, he said nobody had reported the case at the police

station, that they too heard it as rumour in the town.

“We have commenced investigation and after the

investigation we shall let the whole world know what

actually happened to the said three persons.”

We ‘re in control— Health Commissioner

It would be recalled that the Health Commissioner, Dr. Dayo

Adeyanju, last weekend said the state government has

successfully curtailed the ethanol poison at Irele area of the


He said the sensitization efforts of government had yielded

results on the consumption of the local gin.

The commissioner added that both National Agency for

Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC, and

SON had intervened to standardize the brewing of the local

gin and regulate it’s production.

Adeyanju said: “Those that died as a result of the

consumption of the local gin are the chronic drinkers, while

those that just tasted it have since regained their sights.”

According to him, a high concentration of the ethanol

poison was discovered in the system of those that died as

a result of its consumption.

Adeyanju pointed out that the ban on the consumption of

ogogoro in the state still subsists, while government would

deal decisively with those who flouted the directive.

There are no comments

Add yours