Another 3 People after Drinking Ethanol “Ogogoro” in Ondo State. Seller Flees
Investigatorsγ and officers from Ondo State Police
Command are working round the clock to unravel the
mysterious death of three persons after consuming a local
gin, popularly known as ogogoro at Oka Motor Park in
Ondo town, Ondo State.
This is coming as the state government said last week that
it had curtailed the outbreak of a strange disease which
caused the death of 23 persons at Irele area of the state.
The government said the 23 who died at Irele consumed
poisonous ethanol and banned the consumption of ogogoro
across the state.
Vanguard gathered that the deceased persons in this latest
incident included a member of the National Union of Road
Transport Workers, NURTW, in the park, an electrician and
another person working in the motor park.
It was learned that the three persons consumed the local
gin at the park and immediately complained of stomach
upset. Other members of the union reportedly applied local
herbs to calm them down, but they soon became
An eyewitness said they died before they could be rushed
to a nearby hospital in the town, adding that the deaths
were mysterious as other members of the union usually
drank the same ogogoro.
Vanguard gathered that the seller of the ogogoro had fled
the park for fear of arrest by policemen, who reportedly
stormed the motor park to investigate the incident.
The eyewitness said consum-ption of ogogoro at motor
parks by members of NURTW was a daily occurrence.
It was also gathered that the deceased had been buried
according to Muslim rites without undergoing any autopsy
to confirm the real cause of their death.
Contacted, the police image maker, Wole Ogodo, said:
“When I called the DPO of the Enuowa Police Division in
Ondo, he said nobody had reported the case at the police
station, that they too heard it as rumour in the town.
“We have commenced investigation and after the
investigation we shall let the whole world know what
actually happened to the said three persons.”
We ‘re in control— Health Commissioner
It would be recalled that the Health Commissioner, Dr. Dayo
Adeyanju, last weekend said the state government has
successfully curtailed the ethanol poison at Irele area of the
He said the sensitization efforts of government had yielded
results on the consumption of the local gin.
The commissioner added that both National Agency for
Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC, and
SON had intervened to standardize the brewing of the local
gin and regulate it’s production.
Adeyanju said: “Those that died as a result of the
consumption of the local gin are the chronic drinkers, while
those that just tasted it have since regained their sights.”
According to him, a high concentration of the ethanol
poison was discovered in the system of those that died as
a result of its consumption.
Adeyanju pointed out that the ban on the consumption of
ogogoro in the state still subsists, while government would
deal decisively with those who flouted the directive.