Rocket launcher factory discovered in Kano
Defence Headquarters (DHQ), on Friday in Abuja, said a rocket launcher production facility had been uncovered at Dorayi District in Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State.
A statement issued and signed by Major General Chris Olukolade, Director of Defence Information disclosed what was described as a shocking discovery of the factory set up by the Boko Haram sect.
The statement said that a cordon and search exercise led to the discovery of the facility.
It explained that the discovery followed the arrest of a prominent member of the terrorist group.
“Locally made anti-aircraft gun and mortar accessories and rocket propelled grenade tubes and launcher along with accessories were recovered.
“Also seized were three AK47 rifles and hundreds of rounds of assorted ammunition as well as drilling machines and other fabricating equipment.
The statement reminded the public to report suspicious persons to security agencies in their localities to prevent unwholesome act by terrorists.
Meanwhile, the presidency during the week informed political leaders from the terror wracked North Eastern states that their activities against the security forces’ efforts at combating terrorism were being closely monitored.At a meeting with the National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd) early this week, certain political officeholders including National Assembly members from Adamawa, Borno and Yobe were reportedly told in plain terms that government would not allow politicians to destroy the nation and its armed forces.
A source at the meeting informed Saturday Tribune that the northern leaders who were actually at the NSA’s office to protest the extension of emergency rule in those states “ got more than they bargained for as they were tongue-lashed and made to realise that every act of sabotage against the security forces’ anti-terrorism effort including phone calls was not escaping the attention of government.”
The National Assembly on Tuesday unanimously passed the state of emergency extension law in the three states for another six months. The unanimous decision came after a week of protests and rejection of same by legislators and political elite in the affected states.
“You would observe that there was no objection to the extension when the Senate finally voted on the issue. That was a fallout of the meeting with the NSA who minced no words in telling these leaders that government would not mind withdrawing troops from the axis if the extension law would not be passed.
“When these protesting leaders and legislators from the north east zone confronted the National Security Adviser on the need for the suspension of the state of emergency, he told them point-blank that the decision was in their hands if they could persuade their people at home to agree with the proposal, but added that this would include withdrawal of all the troops from the affected states
“Dasuki told them to go and tell their traditional rulers, religious and youth leaders, including other citizens of the three states on their decision against emergency rule which should be widely publicised so that the troops can also be withdrawn since we are in a democracy where people endorse all propositions,” the source, who is close to one of the senators from the zone, told Saturday Tribune.
A security source, who was also privy to the meeting, told Saturday Tribune that “the NSA further warned that “the Nigerian military would not continue to tolerate dirty-politicswith the security situation in the country. He particularly cited some politicians who engage in verbal attacks on troops through reckless and unfounded allegations and who sponsored inciting stories in the media and yet want military protection.
“He also told them that security agencies are closely monitoring activities of politicians and suspected local sympathisers of Boko Haram who are in the habit of misleading the troops for ulterior motives.
“Dasuki, a prince of Sokoto caliphate, the cradle of Islam in Nigeria, was so infuriated that he asked them whether they were more Northerner or believer than the rest of northern officers in the security agencies working day and night to quench the fire of Boko Haram which their political leaders created. He said rather than for them to be grateful for the concern of all Nigerians from the North and South towards addressing the security situations in their zone, some of these leaders and local people continued to provide misleading, diversionary information which had resulted in occasional ambushes where patriotic, gallant soldiers were killed,” the source added.
The source stated that it was at that meeting that it dawned on these politicians that they must not do anything to stop the extension of emergency rule in those states, hence the unanimous Senate decision of Tuesday.
Meanwhile, as part of immediate efforts at insulating soldiers from civilian influence on the anti-terrorism operations, it has also been learnt that soldiers had been withdrawn from non-essential services, including serving as military escorts to political office holders.
“It was discovered that some top politicians in the affected states who are in the habit of castigating the military had also at the same time been in the habit of requesting for military escorts rather than for operatives from other security services whenever they are traveling to their constituencies in the north east. This has been stopped because it is not part of the duties of soldiers to be escorts to politicians in a democracy,” a source in the military told Saturday Tribune on Friday.